Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Friends and Change

Lately I have been slightly confused by friends of mine, but I also have taken some time to think about how wonderful of friends some people are.  I feel as though friendships like most relationships are sometimes meant to crumble to fall apart and be done and over with, we all change slightly over time, we aren't who we are when we were 13, so how is it some friendships can last throughout eternity? This has been something I have been flip flopping in my brain, 

Everyone has different opinions on different things, one thing can ruin a relationship, of a romantic or friendship sort. I have experienced just this lately. Over the last few years I seem to have changed who I am a lot more than most people who are around me, my interests have changed, what makes me happy has changed and what infuriates me has changed.  If you talk to me at all, you might know that politics and the world news is huge to me, a few years ago I wouldn't have cared. However, as circumstances in our lives change we change with them, we grow from our experiences. 

An amazing friend last night told me that he didn't see it, but everyone had told him he had changed. Changes happen without us knowing, but if we could look though someone else's eyes we would see the amount of things we have changed in ourselves.  For example the military related news is huge to me, because it affects me. Education changes are huge because they affect me. Unfortunately I don't know that we have the ability to change our mindsets on anything until it is personal. 

 Some friendships cannot survive these minor everyday changes, sometimes the changes two people make send them in opposite directions. However, you don't need to be like someone to be their friend, you just need to be compatible. Sometimes, you polar opposite is the person who is your best friend and thats exactly who my best friend is to me. There are things in our experiences that could have totally destroyed our relationship with one another, starting with bad choices and ranging to just distance and losing touch sometimes. But your polar opposite can make a great friend when they cause you to loosen up and relax, and you cause them to take stuff seriously. 

Are some relationships invincible? I think so, I know of plenty of things my best friend has done wrong; that I don't approve of, and that hurt me, yet he is forever there for me. Even if its on the other side of the world, and he is a day ahead of me sleeping away tomorrow while I am trying to get through today, he still makes a point to be a friend, and a dang good one at that; one I can talk to and be crying and have the biggest smile on my face when we have to part. 
Soon we will meet again, for now, forever in one another's hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment