Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Summer

Summer breaks finally here I have been home a week only unpacked my clothes haven't had the chance to get to much else. Where I call "home" has changed so much the fields are dotted with gas wells, the woods are being gutted for new homes and houses and the roads are falling apart because hundreds of trucks are running up and down them everyday.

I sat outside with the dogs earlier watching a machine pick trees up out of a hedgerow and smash them like a piece of garbage a field we have used for hay before. Farmers in the area are saying as soon as they start getting royalties they are not going to farm anymore, and milk prices at the store are high now? Until recently this area has been very homogeneous which seems like a culture shock. I went to school k-12th grade with six blacks and three Hispanics. We all laughed when Lows came into the area that they had everything in Spanish as well as English. Now, with an influx of Mexican workers coming in no one speaks Spanish in the area. I am truly curious how the schools are coping with the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment