Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conversations with "Adults"

I have been told I have a very strange relationship with my parents. What makes it so strange I have been forced to ask for I do not understand. When I was younger, like most kids we were not allowed to swear or talk back to our parents or make inappropriate jokes. When I turned about 16 it became not a huge issue. I am allowed to swear while in conversation with my parents, I don't swear at them or call them names or be disrespectful. I do however talk to my parents as I am, an adult. As children we were required to make appearances when we had company, at least come down and say hi, and not ignore the guests.
As a result I am not intimidated by "adults" I do not find myself nervous to go talk to people who are older than me or in authority. When I go home for breaks some of my favorite people to visit are people I should not see as friends are on that list, my best friend's grandparents, the lady I used to babysit for and her family. But I am also not afraid to ask for help from people, such as when one of your good friends decides to take a corner a bit to hard and lands his car in a six foot ditch. I had no problem going to the lady I used to babysit for and asking if they could come help us get him out of the ditch.
 My parents have not limited what we are and are not allowed to watch or laugh about for some time. I have friends who can not laugh at dirty jokes, yet I will sit and tell my parents them. I do not find it so strange to talk to my parents about personal issues I am having because they do not treat me like a child when I bring them up, they treat me like an equal to them. I do not find this as strange as others do, further I find it perfect, my parents treat me as an adult and they trust me. They know more about me because they have allowed us to be "adults" than I would have ever let them in on if they hadn't. My dad can read me very well, it is sometimes scary, but he would have no chance in this if they didn't talk to me like an adult. Talk to your kids, and realize they aren't four, they are all grown up and when you get there, treat them like they are. I was raised with the freedom to express my opinion, to act and conduct myself like an adult. Sometimes I have trouble shutting myself up, but overall I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment: