Monday, April 25, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese and Ham

Easter Dinner.
Everyones always dumbfounded when they ask me what we are having for Easter and I tell them Mac and Cheese and Ham. Its quite a family tradition. When I was nine, my "Grandpa Hoppy" had brain cancer and was in a nursing home, and the hospital. Well we brought him home for Easter, built a wheel chair ramp, prepared the house, and tried to figure out what he could eat. Well, we finally settled on Mac&Cheese, everyone likes it and it was easy enough to make for the crazy dinner we were planning.
This was the last Easter we had with him, the last meal he ate with us, and the last time I seen or spoke to him before he died, the 27th, shortly after Easter day. I remember not wanting to say goodbye and my parents almost having to force me to when they took him back, I hoped if I didn't say it he wouldn't die and he would come back on Sunday morning with a van full of "goodies" tell us to stop watching "mickey mouse" and us ask him what he brought us that week, which usually included bubble bath, which he had us stocked up on for years after he died. Coloring books, cookies and for me, word finds (he got me addicted to them), as well as stuffed animals and toys galore usually filled the bags he brought for us.


I smile on Easter while eating my Mac&Cheese, it is my favorite, much like Hoppy Poppy it was his favorite too.

No comments:

Post a Comment