Monday, April 4, 2011

Out of touch

It has become apparent to me lately just how many people I have lost touch with over the years, and how many of them seem to find their ways back into my life. It seems to amaze me how people can be totally out of my life for great periods of time, sometimes years and our relationships don't need much mending before we can pick up right where we left off. 
Recently I have gotten back in touch with an old friend from junior high who was a wonderful part of my life at the time, we caused trouble and did absolutely nothing serious we have floated in and out of each others lives for years each and every time we seem to pick up where we left off. Each more mature, and each changed but absolutely still friends.  
Both of the friendships in particular I am referring to broke up because of time, distance and for other people, because someone didn't like someone else. I have always been so firm on the fact that I would always choose my friends over my boyfriend, my best friends over new ones, but the reality of this is sometimes you need a change, you need a break from these long time friends who you seem to depend on and who depend on you. Sometimes we need a break from one another to see where we have been what has changed and most importantly to remember why we love each other. 
I have friends who I feel as if theres not a single thing that really ties us together but somehow we complete each other like a missing puzzle piece fits in that puzzle built months ago.  
In a way I wish I would have held the promise that I would always choose my friends over a guy, but the fact of the matter is I needed that break to appreciate it more. Such as the line "you don't know what you have until it's gone." I stopped talking to my best friend, mostly for a guy who I ended up breaking up with. My best friend was still willing to listen when I called him crying about it. 
At the time, because of schedules, time zones, and lives that lead us in separate ways I do not have all that communication with ether of these friends of mine, one texts when he has a chance and the other emails me almost every day, one email.  We live totally different lives, we were brought together for a reason, and since I have known both of these friends since junior high I know they will always float in and out of my life. I would not have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment